Oxfam is a global movement of people who share the belief that, in a world rich in resources, poverty isn't inevitable. It's an injustice which can, and must, be overcome around the world and here in the UK. Any funding received will support work in Great Britain.
Oxfam believes that everyone should have enough income to feed themselves and their families, and should achieve their potential regardless of how much money they have. We work with the poorest communities across England, Wales and Scotland to:
- develop projects with partners such as local charities, to improve the lives of people in poverty.
- enable people to gain skills and increase their chances of finding work.
- start businesses that will bring income into communities.
- help people influence services in their area and shape policies that affect their daily lives.
- work alongside partners to tackle food poverty.
We also work with policy-makers to raise awareness of poverty in the UK and its underlying causes.
How we'd spend the money
Eating or heating? It’s the stark choice facing ever more families in ‘austerity’ Britain. Oxfam will use the money to fight poverty across the UK. Working with local groups, we’ll make a practical difference to families struggling to make ends meet, and help them get their lives back on track.